Has this ever happened to you: the doorbell rings and your nice, but slightly scary neighbor greets you with 2 big-ass pieces of lumber? Me neither. That is until Sunday afternoon. Ron the neighbor dropped by and needed some information that only an employee of the "Forestry Department" (aka the US Department of Agriculture Forest Service) could answer. First question: what kind of wood is this? Second question: what are those stains on the sides because I know they are not from my sawblade?

Yeah so since I know only two definitions of wood, the tree one and the...oh nevermind...I agreed to take these 2 particularly heavy pieces of lumber into work and ask around. And do you know what I found out? Nothing. I guessed oak because of their weight but I hadn't considered the weight could be due to the fact this is green timber (undried with lots of water content). And it's probably oak but no one could be sure without a microscope.
Anyway, I can now check off "checked out another man's wood" from the things I really shouldn't do before I die list.
No comments:
Post a Comment